Post by Graham Filmer on Jun 12, 2012 4:01:23 GMT -8
Whilst the petrol tank is off, can i check that i have the earth to steering wheel column correctly connected. The horn now works so it seems right, but hopefully someone can confirm before I bolt everything back down!
I have re-wired the earth to steering column which was badly fraid and simply put things back where they once were. The blue connector goes to a spade connector. But on the opposite side of the existing connection and on the other side of the rubber coupling you can just see the end of what I'm guessing was a past male spade connector (the master cylinger brake pipe going left as you view it is pointing at it!)
Also in view is the steering box earth. I had thought that ultimately the earth from the steeing column had a jumper connecting the earth to this point (which clearly I have not done), but since everything seems to work maybe all is OK. Either way some confirmation woudl be appreciated
Post by Greg Skinner on Jun 12, 2012 5:16:27 GMT -8
Originally, the rubber 'rag joint' was secured by 4 security bolts that had a hole for a cotter pin through them at the threaded end of each bolt. Castellated nuts were employed to lock the cotter pins just like the original tie rod ends, only smaller. One of these castellated nuts and one of the bolts was zinc plated, and this zinc plated bolt was slightly longer to accommodate the thickness of the special brass washer that had the male spade connector end on it. This special washer is supposed to be on the upper side of the rag joint so the horn wire doesn't have to swing out over the edge of the rag joint, like yours does. I would move the brass washer over to under the head of the bolt and also add two inches of protective sleeving (heat shrink tube works) to the wire's insulation as it passes through the slit at the end of the steering column to add some protection to this wire. Otherwise, the arrangement looks good because the ground path for the horn is supposed to go through the steering box. Again, there is a special slightly longer zinc plated steering box cover bolt originally installed to support the thickness of the brass ground wire eyelet. The other end of the ground wire on the RHD cars goes under the top zinc plated mounting bolt for the front beam.
As an aside, zinc repels rust to a degree over time and improves electrical continuity. The rest of the hardware was generally left either natural metal and painted chassis black to protect it over time, or plated black oxide. The ST Lists in the parts book covers all of that.
Post by Graham Filmer on Jun 12, 2012 12:49:00 GMT -8
Many thanks for the advice Greg, much appreciated. I will move the connection and add some heat shrink as well as suggested. Above all, I can be comfortable that I've got this right before bolting everything back down
Post by Graham Filmer on Aug 27, 2012 10:56:22 GMT -8
For a short while my horn worked perfectly, but pretty quickly it stuck on all of the time. I have checked and re-checked everything and seem to have identified what may be the problem, but I'm struggling to solve it.
It appears that the steering column (inner and outer) is permanently earthed, not massively so - but a small dim light appears on my test light.
Right now I have stripped off the steering wheel and indicator and dropped the column from the dashboard to eliminate any issues these may be causing.The correct earthing wire to the base of the column is all new and works fine. Visually the seal at the base of the column as it goes towards the front of the car looks fine. I've fiddled around with all the wiring to see if there was some form of 'parasitic' wiring earth issue,
Frustratingly, I can't see anything that is creating this slight earth, but it does appear that the presence of this earth ensures that the horn relay activated by the horn push (which works fine) is providing enough of an earth once the horn is activated to ensure the relay does not deactivate (hope that makes sense).
To date I have been totally unable to solve this one. Does anyone have any insight that might help? I'm advised that the presence of this very slight permanent earth is incorrect (any views here?). If this is correct any help to identify the source of this earth would be very much appreciated
Post by Mark Poulton on Aug 29, 2012 7:53:05 GMT -8
Check that the column rubber coupling disc is totally non conductive. I have had one in the past that allowed sufficient current to flow to hold the relay contact open whilst being insufficient to open it in the first instance. Disconnect it totally to check
Post by Graham Filmer on Aug 30, 2012 9:31:54 GMT -8
Hi Mark, coincidently I wondered if this might be the problem and ordered a new coupling and bolts (well it seemed the easiest to access) Parts have yet to arrive, but I have taken the old one of and indeed this does appear to be the problem. I wonder if the problem is caused by rust seeping through the non conductive sleeves on the coupling. Well in a few days I'll have the parts and then touch wood it can go back together work and stay working! Many thanks as always BW Graham
Post by Mark Poulton on Aug 30, 2012 14:17:11 GMT -8
Graham Check the new one for the same problem - it was a new one I had the issue with in that the rubber was slightly conductive - suspect it had metal particles cast into it, so that at least one generic source for these has a problem - not an issue on beetles where there is no relay.
Post by Graham Filmer on Sept 7, 2012 11:39:07 GMT -8
All sorted (touch wood) and yes it was the rubber coupling. Coupling and bolts all changed and everything works as it should. I can now fit the indicator switch and horn in under 8 minutes, if only it was an olympic sport!